Friday, October 28, 2005

On how my Beautiful Mum chickened out of being Booteeful Mum, self-help books and foul-mouthed grannies.

After a few hectic days- me voici de retour!

The big news is that my mother very kindly decided to sign up with blogspot.com so that she could leave me messages, which I think is great. However, as the title says, she chickened out of being Booteefulmama which was her original idea, and is now mumberlin... which is OK (if you say it out loud it sounds like you’re mumbling “mumbling”, which I think is quite funny!) BUT my first choice still goes to booteefulmama- what do others think? We could end up having all kinds of booteeful things and people here! As for my booteefulmama’s comment, “Love the chickens - ooops! you're not clucky, are you?” the answer is “no”: it will be a long time yet before the eggs in this nest start to hatch (although I hope that when they do the chicks will be booteeful too), but in the meantime I too love my chickens and I think knitted baby clothes (and especially bootees!) make great presents! So, for anyone else who was wondering about the motives behind the booteeblog, they are all very innocent, believe me!

Apart from that excitement, in between two classes yesterday, I decided to hop into a bookshop on Rambla de Cataluña called “Excellence”. They only have a very small selection of books in English, but I always find them very intriguing. After reading the blurb on the back of about a dozen books, I ended choosing from among the following four:

1. “How compatible are you” by Allan and Barbara Pease,
2. “It’s not how good you are, it’s how good you want to be” by Paul Arden,
3. “The five people you meet in Heaven” by Mitch Albom
4. A book called something along the lines of “Thoughts for the stressed”, by an author whose name I can’t remember.

I ended up walking out of the shop with number 3 in my bag. Why? Well, although I was very drawn to book no. 1, it made me think of my man and the image of the chickens in our living room appeared before my eyes, and I thought: I already know the answer to that one! (I know, so cheesy you could be sick!) Next, I decided no. 2 might be just that bit too inspiring for me now and I might end up wanting to make radical changes in my life which, to tell you the truth, I am feeling too lazy for at the moment. But I have the title on a piece of paper in my bag, and sooner or later I will let the book into my life. Finally, I decided that at the age of 26 I was simply too young to give in to books aimed at “the stressed”, or to actually belong to "the stressed"; like with the booteeful chicks, my motto here is: everything in due time. The time to be truly stressed will surely come, so I decided that for now I might as well focus on other things. Like who I might meet in heaven, for instance. Yes, book no. 3, of course. In a nutshell, the book is about a man who dies and goes to heaven, and finds that instead of the Garden of Eden he was expecting, heaven is a place where your life is explained to you by five people who played a fundamental role in the course it took- as I said, intriguing, to say the least. What’s more, Amy Tan’s comment on the back of the book is “This book is a gift to the soul”, and after a few hectic days, I decided it was time to treat my soul.

The reason I bought a new book is because I have very nearly finished the book I have been reading for about two weeks now. It is called “Having a lovely time” (written by Jenny Eclair) and although it’s a good read –at times it is hysterically funny- it is also terribly vulgar. So much so that there were many pages I stopped reading in the tube for fear of people reading along over my shoulder! But, as long as you can handle that kind of stuff, it is, as I said, not a bad read.

Talking about vulgar- this afternoon I was yet again shocked at how vulgar my 85-year-old neighbour can be when she wants to! And she is not the only one- I can think of at least two other old ladies in our building who shock me on a regular basis. Perhaps I am prude, that may well be true, but these grannies are foul-mouthed! Still- I love my Spanish grannies. Somehow they are very comforting; no matter what your problem is, no matter how big or small, they squeeze your hand and tell you that they can feel “everything is going to be OK”, that life these days just isn’t what it used to be, and that good things happen to good people (I like to think they are implying that, therefore, I have nothing to worry about). Yes, grannies definitely bring you the “feel good factor”, and everyone should have a granny in his or her life. In fact, the other day my friend (who has just moved here) and I decided that she too should find a granny here (our real grannies live far away, unfortunately). So far she has met one old lady with granny-potential in her new neighbourhood, but we are still on the look out for more. If anyone interested is reading this, please send your CV to thebooteeblog with a short summary of your experience and qualities as a granny (comforting, knitting and baking skills, etc.). Foul-mouthed grannies are welcome too.

Finally, since this is, after all, a knitting blog, here is a photo of the little cardigan I have just finished, again for my friend who is having twins next month. I have to admit that I am quite chuffed with the way it turned out. I am about to start matching bootees.





We have friends over this weekend from Montpellier, so I will take lots and lots of photos and post them on here next week.

Hasta la proxima! Booteeful.

5 comments:

barcababy said...

Im liking this blog thing! You actually made me laugh out loud! Keep me posted on the granny hunt! ;-)))

betty said...

hahaha, you made me laugh out loud too!
I'm intrigued with the book, and I'm thinking that maybe I could buy the stressed one...

booteefulnewbie. :)

Booteeful said...

Jeje Betty (or booteefulnewbie! :) , es verdad: si hay una cosa que te da derecho estar entre los "stressed", es el hecho de ser madre! Ya te buscaré el titulo exacto! ;)

Booteeful said...

Barcababy: as Betty said to me (and it worked): "QUEREMOS QUE TENGAS BLOG!" ;-) Of course I'll keep you posted, and I'm going to publish the best CV on the blog! Bisous ma biche!

booteefulmama said...

Wow - where do you get the time? Love the baby cardigan - will you make a matching one for the other twin? Glad to hear you're not clucky yet despite the chickens - Booteefulmama isn't ready to become a booteefulgrandma just yet! Still, when she does she hopes that all her chickens will come home to roost now and then. In fact she's really looking forward to them coming home to roost at Christmas! lol